State of the Coast Conference
This year’s edition of the annual State of the Coast Conference is coming up Saturday, Nov. 9, all day at the Salishan Resort in Gleneden Beach (7760 N. Hwy 101). The theme of the 2019 conference, sponsored by Oregon Sea Grant, is “Coastal Journeys, Pivotal Moments.” Cost is $40, or $25 for students.
The keynote speaker is Oregon author Bonnie Henderson (inset), whose books include the critically acclaimed The Next Tsunami: Living on a Restless Coast. Her 2008 book, Strand: An Odyssey of Pacific Ocean Debris was listed as a Best Book of 2008 by the Seattle Times and was a finalist for the 2009 Oregon Book Awards. The book was inspired by her experiences as a CoastWatch mile adopter in the Oregon Dunes. She has also authored two popular hiking guidebooks: Best Hikes with Kids: Oregon and Day Hiking: Oregon Coast. As an expert on the Oregon Coast Trail, Bonnie will share her personal and professional coastal journeys, and challenge us to consider the Oregon coast we want now and in the future.
Other topics will include:
- What’s Up with Whales
- Sustainable Fisheries
- Living Coastal Legacies of Gov. Tom McCall
- An Underwater Tour of Oregon’s Marine Reserves
- Managing Coastal Rocky Habitat
- Updates on Sea Star Wasting
- Changing Watershed Over Time: Forest to Ocean
- Local, Coastal Food Systems from Scratch
- Coastal Livability
- Plastics, Pollution, and Policy
- Holistic Approaches to Coastal Species Management
As the conference always does, there will also be a Student Research and Art Exhibit. For more information, see the conference website.